Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Topiaries on a Tuesday

Helloooooo!
If you stopped by yesterday, you know that I'm in full swing preparing for my girls' party on Saturday. Our babes are 12 months apart, and actually had their birthdays in May, but we'll be celebrating this weekend,
so....
that means I have a to-do list longer than Casey Anthony's nose.
(if she were Pinocchio)
Anyone else out there not believing a word she or her attorneys are sayin?
Ah well,
I digress...

Here's a pic I showed you yesterday of some cute naked topiaries-

Picked these up at the hob lob last Friday and scored one of them for 40% off with my handy dandy coupon. (Not even gonna lie that we considered making our purchases, going to lunch, and then going BACK so that we could use the coupon again. Didn't do it, but we considered...)

The pots were 2.17 and were 50% off last week, so I got BOTH of them for 2.17. (see how fast I did that math?) The moss was 4.99, and the topiaries were 11.99 and 7.19 (with coupon).
And I know what you're thinkin- isn't 20 bucks a bit steep to be spending for a little table decor at a birthday party? And you'd be right.
That's way more than I usually spend on projects, BUT, I figured as long as I made whatever I covered it in removable I could use them over and over again for different parties/seasons and really get my money's worth.
moving on...

For MM's party table (Very Hungry Caterpillar) I knew I wanted the topiaries to be covered in RED. My first plan was to make little rossettes like I showed you in THIS post, but after making a few and attaching them, I decided it just wasn't what I wanted.

The red fleece and the scissors are the only things I ended up using outta this pic... I had planned to use the top to the snack jar as a template, but it was too big.

See the big circle punch? THAT's what I ended up using as a pattern to cut out about 100 circles from my fleece. They're a little over an inch in diameter...



Since I knew I wanted to be able to remove whatever I put on the topiaries (so that I could use them over and over) my first thought was to put velcro on the topiaries and the backs of whatever I decided to put on them.
Since I scrapped the rossette idea and decided to go with lots and lots of little red circles, the velcro idea also got scrapped since I'd need too much of it.
Here's what I went with-

yep.
A good 'ole folded up square of scotch tape.
Worked like a charm.

I started from the bottom of the topiary, overlapping my circles a bit-
like this...

and just kept working my way around...


until it was completely covered-


Then I covered the top part the same way-


Now for the bottom...
I grabbed that bag of reindeer moss,


which looks like this when out of the bag-


 I should probably warn you that this is messy...


Anywho, just heat up that glue gun and start gluing down that moss. No special technique...just glue it down until all of the green foam is covered.


Pretty, huh?




Still working on finishing the second one, but my plan is to have these at each of the ends of the dessert table with little buntings connecting them to the cupcake stand in the middle.
Can't you just see it?

*****
Here's a few party pics I added after publishing this post-



****
So...I'm off to get cracking on the 328 other projects I've got going at the moment. I'll be back soon with some 4th of July decor ideas + printables.

I leave you today with 2 pics-
1 is cute as pie...
other than the 'sun is in my face' smiles-


and 1 is weird as all get-out...

the hubs did a lil' kayak-turning practice in the kids pool last night.
There's no telling what the neighbors think of us...


I've linked this to:
Weekend Wrap-up at Tatertots and Jello
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...